Special thanks go to Larry Garber for providing such amazing Kili tips! His advice is just essential for a successful and hassle-free climb.
Want to learn some more? You are more than welcome to also read my special “Tips on Clothing and Equipment for Your Kilimanjaro Climb” article. Enjoy!
Video Lesson 1: Your Backpack!
In this video you’ll learn about the following:
- Backpack essentials.
- Camelback water units.
- Layering (clothes needed according to weather forecast).
Video Lesson 2: Boots and Hygiene!
- Footwear and personal comfort.
- Ziploc bags to keep clothes dry.
- Wet wipes/hand sanitizers.
- Tissues (for runny noses).
- Water purification techniques.
- Tips to prevent your drinking water from freezing.
Video Lesson 3: For Your Own Comfort and Safety!
Learn all you need to know about:
- Plastic ponchos.
- Sun protection.
- Hiking poles.
- Sleeping bags.
- LED head lamps.
- Ear plugs.
- Personal entertainment (music, cameras, batteries).
- Must-pack items (Swiss army knife, dark tape, etc.).
Video Lesson 4: First Aid Kit and Physical Fitness!
Essential items mentioned include:
- Dental hygiene.
- First Aid Kit and Medication.
- Technology items (watch, GPS).
- Maps of the Area.
- Snacks and Food.
- Physical fitness (VERY IMPORTANT). Prerequisites are rather strict: at least 4 months of physical fitness prior to the ascension. Gym 4 times a week: electrical machines for 45-60 minutes + hikes 1-2 a month!