- The price per pound for rhino horn is valued at $29 500 + (worth more than gold or cocaine).
- The total world rhino population has drastically declined: from 200 000 individuals at the start of the twentieth century to roughly 29 000 today.
- Over 70% of the world’s rhinos currently live in South Africa.
- $8-10 billion annual generation of illegal horn and ivory trade worldwide.
- In 1979 there were over 1.3 million African elephants roaming in the wild. In 2013, the figures dropped down to 400-470 000 animals.
- 8% of the African elephant’s population is being poached each year.
- Lion bones are a substitute for scarce tiger bones used in traditional Chinese medicine.
- In the last 100 years, its population declined from 200 000 + to 32 000 max.
Original Source: SuperScholar.com