Menu

EMPTY-TOP-MENU

Kwa Maritane

NB: There seems to be compatibility issues with the Firefox browser. Please use Chrome or Safari for best player performance. Thank you.

Enjoy Africa’s latest wildlife sightings from the Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge in Pilanesberg National Park (South Africa).

What to expect?

Pilanesberg is home to the big 5, on top of which you can see anything from zebras to giraffes and various species of antelopes. Believe it or not, but recently even wild dogs were spotted on the waterhole camera.

What did you spot today?

Feel free to comment below to share your latest wildlife sightings! 😉

Cheers and enjoy your virtual safari!

==> More LIVE cams

112 Responses to Kwa Maritane

1. Janet Patton Browning September 5, 2016 at 11:04 am #

Zebra just came to drink now too

2. Janet Patton Browning September 5, 2016 at 11:02 am #

Don’t see all the algae here anymore either…glad to see it gone hopefully.

3. Janet Patton Browning September 5, 2016 at 11:01 am #

The elephants left and now deer are here drinking

4. Janet Patton Browning September 5, 2016 at 10:54 am #

One big bull is still in the water, kicking up the water with his hind legs…lol

5. Janet Patton Browning September 5, 2016 at 10:53 am #

Wow, a small herd of elephant are drinking and playing in the water…having a good ole time.

6. Janet Patton Browning August 28, 2016 at 10:15 am #

What is left of the water in the pond is showing the algae again…I don’t guess it is gone yet…just hope none of the wildlife get sick from it…but, I think they would know if the water is safe to drink or not…

7. Janet Patton Browning August 26, 2016 at 3:20 pm #

The waterhole here looks better and the elephants are back too…can just see the edge of one side and an elephant must be out into the water…splashing up a storm…lol

8. Janet Patton Browning August 18, 2016 at 11:05 pm #

This lone black-foot cat I saw last night wasn’t seen here, it was actually seen at Pete’s Pond before…it was about a week ago now that I saw one there.

9. Janet Patton Browning August 18, 2016 at 3:02 am #

I actually saw a small cat at the watering hole…I think it was the African Black footed one that I saw here awhile back now.

10. Janet Patton Browning August 18, 2016 at 2:17 am #

So Michael…how do they rid the pond of this algae or can they? I read somewhere that some algae is actually harmful to wildlife.

• Michael Theys August 19, 2016 at 2:26 pm #

I don’t think they will, unless – as you say – it becomes harmful to wildlife. Sometimes algae can harm aquatic organisms such as fish. While algae produce oxygen during daylight (as a byproduct of photosynthesis), at night they consume oxygen. In other words, too much algae can result in oxygen depletion, which in the end kills the aquatic life.

11. Janet Patton Browning August 12, 2016 at 12:19 am #

Thank you so much, Michael for that answer…I just knew it looked so different and no animals were there drinking…I just learned something new…thanks to you…take care and thanks again, Michael!!

12. Janet Patton Browning August 10, 2016 at 3:19 pm #

Michael, what is this stuff on top of the water hole here this morning? I don’t see the usual animals here drinking from it either?

• Michael Theys August 10, 2016 at 3:32 pm #

Looks like the waterhole got invaded by green algae… 🙁

13. Janet Patton Browning August 10, 2016 at 2:55 pm #

That sludge on the water here, looks just like someone drove something through the water…weird looking…a path right on top of the water.

14. Janet Patton Browning August 10, 2016 at 2:48 pm #

looks like a lot of sludge in the water today…looks almost like an oil slick.

15. Janet Patton Browning August 10, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

wart hogs foraging behind the water hole…

16. Janet Patton Browning August 5, 2016 at 10:04 pm #

Well, I am learning that there are different types of hyenas…the one I saw tonight was a brown hyena…unlike the spotted hyena, their coats are longer…so, mystery solved…it was a brown hyena…as it was leaving, I noticed a side view and it’s back is sloped down, so it has to be the brown hyena…first time I ever saw one…very strange…

• Michael Theys August 10, 2016 at 12:48 pm #

I believe you are correct Janet! You’re extremely lucky as brown hyenas are very difficult to see. Another species is the striped hyena, though it is native to North and East Africa.

17. Janet Patton Browning August 5, 2016 at 9:58 pm #

A lone bull elephant out for a drink. I think I made a mistake…what I thought was a hyena is actually a wild dog, I believe.

18. Janet Patton Browning August 5, 2016 at 9:18 pm #

Just spotted a hyena drinking…longer hair on it too…strange looking, but when it moved away, I recognized the shape.

19. Janet Patton Browning August 3, 2016 at 8:39 pm #

I so wish none of the animals would come alone to drink, especially at night…but I did see a what looked to be a mother elephant and her baby…looked about 3 or 4 months old…so, not too little, but still, night time is a not the safest time to be drinking alone or with a little one in tow.

20. Janet Patton Browning August 3, 2016 at 8:12 pm #

The wild dogs may be back…just saw one at the watering hole here…its the first time I’ve seen any in several days now. I hope, if indeed they have returned, that they can’t take down a rhino…

21. Janet Patton Browning August 3, 2016 at 8:01 pm #

As I’m sitting here tonight, watching the cams from Michael, I think back to my all time favorite song, Louis’ “What a Wonderful World”…and I want to believe that this still is a wonderful world…tonight it is…but it still takes each one of us to act unselfishly and responsibly in order for that to continue…we need to respect every living thing…from the smallest cell to the largest of us all, for it to remain a wonderful world for us all…and for all of the future generations to come…I have witnessed personally, devastating sadness and unbelievable joy, in my lifetime…but I think there still is time for our world to be a beautiful place for all of mankind.

22. Janet Patton Browning August 3, 2016 at 7:28 pm #

I hope and pray that this means there is still hope for the rhinos in the wild, like this…for them to be wiped from the wild in my lifetime (I am 67), would truly be a great tragedy and legacy for my generation to leave behind.

23. Janet Patton Browning August 3, 2016 at 7:17 pm #

I am stunned beyond belief…I didn’t know any were in the wild like this…I thought they were all in protective small reserves…this is absolutely the most wonderful thing to see here yet!!

24. Janet Patton Browning August 3, 2016 at 7:15 pm #

Make that 5!!!

25. Janet Patton Browning August 3, 2016 at 7:15 pm #

OMG…RHINOS!!!! THE FIRST ones I have ever seen here…3 of them

26. Janet Patton Browning August 1, 2016 at 2:33 pm #

Finally…a huge bull elephant just showed up at the water hole!! He is drinking and having a ball spraying himself with the water…so fun to see!!

27. Janet Patton Browning August 1, 2016 at 9:41 am #

Haven’t seen any large mammals in a few days now…not quite sure why.

28. Janet Patton Browning July 30, 2016 at 6:32 pm #

Kingfisher in the bushes, eating an insect…cool beans.

29. Janet Patton Browning July 30, 2016 at 8:34 am #

Aha…there is black-winged stilts wading in the water too looking for food. Storks here too; I am thinking that is the bird that lost its friend to the croc a few days ago.

30. Janet Patton Browning July 30, 2016 at 8:20 am #

I think these large white birds may well be storks…there is one lone one now too…it’s the one who lost his mate or friend to a croc a few days ago now…it is still alone.and the geese are the grey crowned, I believe.

31. Janet Patton Browning July 28, 2016 at 12:05 pm #

You’d think with the rain that came and filled the water hole up, that you would see the elephants and larger animals here again, but none have showed up besides the warthogs and they are extremely wary when they are drinking from the water’s edge. The crocs must be getting pretty hungry by now. Heaven help the next animals of any size that show up for a drink…they will all need to be wary now.

32. Janet Patton Browning July 28, 2016 at 11:45 am #

A couple of warthogs just came to drink…crocs or gators here are very active…they all need to be careful…between the croc and the wild dogs, I have seen more killing here than at all the other sites for Africa here. Dangerous territory for the animals.

33. Janet Patton Browning July 28, 2016 at 11:06 am #

Amazing, but haven’t seen any big animals or the wild dogs this morning…only a couple of geese spatting over territory on the water.

34. Janet Patton Browning July 26, 2016 at 8:36 am #

The alligator or croc took out one of the wading birds this morning too; the other one seems lost without it’s mate? I am surprised to see it back on the water, after losing the other one. Hope it makes it and finds a new friend…

35. Janet Patton Browning July 26, 2016 at 7:52 am #

Looks like it’s going to rain off and on today…the wild dogs have left again, but a jackal now hangs around, trying to find something to fill his little belly,,,he or she is cute to watch digging for stuff.

36. Janet Patton Browning July 26, 2016 at 6:35 am #

The wild dogs have returned to the waterhole…they have found food here, so I think now they will keep returning until they find what they want…I was honestly hoping that they wouldn’t return, but I know they need to eat too, I just wish they could kill their prey before they try to eat it…they are like hyenas in that aspect, neither kill their prey before eating it…that is so sad to me, but I don’t think they have learned a way to do any different.

37. Janet Patton Browning July 26, 2016 at 4:44 am #

Well, the rain came back not long after the storm passed and it rained most of last night and into this morning…I’m sure anywhere in Africa can use the rain…it will fill up all the waterholes for all the animals and that makes me happy. Saw elephants earlier tonight and a couple of lone wildebeast, but thank goodness no wild dogs last night or this morning again.

38. Janet Patton Browning July 25, 2016 at 11:07 pm #

They got a short thunderstorm this evening…no sign of the dogs as yet, but the elephants mingled around the water hole for a bit and then left.

39. Janet Patton Browning July 25, 2016 at 10:30 pm #

Elephants tonight and what sounds like rain…that should make the elephants happy. Love seeing them in the wild like this.

40. Janet Patton Browning July 25, 2016 at 8:06 am #

Helicopter is trying to land somewhere nearby, evidently or maybe just flying over…scared all the wildlife away, even the dogs…

41. Janet Patton Browning July 25, 2016 at 8:02 am #

Believe it or not, they just made another kill…these dogs are relentless this morning…I cannot believe they can eat this much!! I love watching all of the animals, but this morning it has been somewhat sad to see so much killing…

42. Janet Patton Browning July 25, 2016 at 7:43 am #

The wild dogs just made another after an extremely loud commotion…it ended up with them killing and eating several of what sounded like a warthog family…the noise went on for several minutes,

43. Janet Patton Browning July 25, 2016 at 6:25 am #

I have been watching this particular site for a while now…this is the first time I have ever seen wild dogs here, but I did see where it was possible to see them here…usually all I have seen is different animals coming to drink…some even alone…these dogs have been milling around this water hole now for well over an hour now and seem to know that something else will come to drink too and they can attack and eat it like they did the deer and her baby earlier. So strange to see them like this…just milling around, sometimes stopping to drink from the waters edge…but never entirely leaving the site now.

44. Janet Patton Browning July 25, 2016 at 6:02 am #

It’s amazing, but even after quickly devouring those two deer, they are still hanging around…I think knowing that there will be more deer or prey they can attack and eat.

45. Janet Patton Browning July 25, 2016 at 6:01 am #

This morning I saw a pack of wild dogs chase a mother deer and her young baby into the water here…the pack of dogs took out the baby and I thought it was all over, but somehow they both seemed to get away, until more dogs joined in the attack…killed and ate them both on the side of the water here

• Michael Theys July 26, 2016 at 2:55 pm #

You’re extremely lucky Janet, though it must’ve been quite a dramatic event to watch! Wild dogs are pitiless, and probably have the highest hunting success rate of any large African predator (over 80% of their hunts are successful)! It’s one of the rare animals still on my check list… what a thrill it would be to see them in their natural habitat!

Thanks for your valuable comments, keep them coming! 😉

• Janet Patton Browning July 29, 2016 at 11:57 pm #

Yes, Michael, I was thinking the same thing…I wasn’t expecting to see that at all…it was so loud and a little disturbing…I wanted so to reach out and save the mom and her baby…but I also realize it’s part of nature and they have to eat too…just wish they would find a way to kill their prey before the eat them.

• Janet Patton Browning August 3, 2016 at 7:18 pm #

Michael, I don’t know if you have seen this yet…but, there were 5 rhinos at the watering hole here tonight!!!

• Michael Theys August 10, 2016 at 12:42 pm #

WOW, lucky you! Nope, I’ve never seen them on this camera yet… Nice spotting, well done! 🙂

46. Petra May 25, 2016 at 12:50 pm #

And the hippo moved into view -finally, can always hear it but is very camera shy

47. Petra May 25, 2016 at 12:46 pm #

Zebra and Blouwildebeest!
    Thanks for the show!

48. Livinforfriday December 17, 2015 at 5:38 pm #

Does that hippo ever come out of that water hole????

49. Livinforfriday December 16, 2015 at 12:33 am #

Today was eventful this morning about 8am mountain time in Canada I got to see a small family of elephants having a long drink…one lone hippo …2 rhinos…and some wildebeests…very cool to see 🙂

50. Michael Theys November 13, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

Lone elephant having a blast in the water! 🙂