Menu

EMPTY-TOP-MENU

Pete’s Pond

Pete’s Pond offers LIVE coverage from the Mashatu Game Reserve, a wholly preserved and untainted wilderness in eastern Botswana (at the confluence of the Limpopo and Shashe Rivers).

Be on the lookout for…

It’s not mere coincidence that Mashatu is called the “Land of the Giants”, as it is home to no less than seven of Africa’s “giants” – the African Elephant, the Lion, Giraffe, the Baobab Tree, the Eland, Ostrich and the Kori Bustard.

Other species of interest may include monitor lizards, baboons, vervet monkeys, warthogs, guinea fowls, and many other bird species (like the hammerkop).

What did you spot today?

Feel free to comment below to share your latest wildlife sightings! 😉

Cheers and enjoy your virtual safari!

==> More LIVE cams

68 Responses to Pete’s Pond

1. Debbi January 10, 2017 at 8:02 am #

I saw some giraffes and zebras and elephants quite a ways off… could not get a clear picture. I did see a croc earlier. And I got a picture of a wildebeest I think that’s what it is… ? I would post my picture, but don’t know how. 🙂

2. Celia January 5, 2017 at 2:35 pm #

On average how big is the croc. He looks quite small in the water with the terrapins but looks big out on the bank?

• Michael Theys January 6, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

Hi Celia. I don’t know which croc you are referring to, but generally speaking they can get really large and continue to grow throughout their lives. 2-3 m is the average size, with the largest ones reaching massive lengths of up to 7 m. Saltwater crocs are the largest species out of them all (found in Asia and Australia), and one of Africa’s largest beasts currently resides in Burundi. Gustave is a Nile crocodile that’s over 6 m long and weighs over a ton.

• Michael January 16, 2017 at 9:47 pm #

There is a croc in Pete s pond.

3. Miss C B Price January 1, 2017 at 12:02 am #

Happy new year to all involved in Africa freak. Big thank you to all staff. Been watching from the uk. Xx

4. JOE December 13, 2016 at 12:45 pm #

watching pete’s pond from wildearth.tv but no chat

5. Miss C B Price December 6, 2016 at 1:06 pm #

Camera down

6. Jana Grznárová November 19, 2016 at 10:35 pm #

I see you there properly raining, and raining on us today, but we are to the cold, so I would rather be with you

7. Jana Grznárová November 8, 2016 at 11:12 pm #

Fascinating experience, I just watched the wonderful lions. Have you been following for about three quarters of the year and so far I have seen lions here. This was a wonderful experience and they were wonderful. Thank you Africa Freak.

8. Jana Grznárová October 25, 2016 at 12:29 am #

Hi Barbara, there were mongooses, something like meerkats, but larger.

9. Barbara Anderson October 11, 2016 at 4:35 pm #

What is that interesting little rodent (?) near rhe hut this morning.??? Three young, perhaps, pointy snouts, small round laid-back ears, striped rump, stripes going around the body and tail tip, gray and black tones, seem to be insect-eaters.

10. Janet Patton Browning September 12, 2016 at 6:23 pm #

It’s finally raining here…should definitely help to fill back up the waterhole here.

11. Janet Patton Browning September 5, 2016 at 10:58 am #

lots of deer and antelope are at the water hole here this morning

12. Janet Patton Browning September 5, 2016 at 12:41 am #

a lone elephant foraging in the trees, by the pond here.