Special thanks go to Larry Garber for providing such amazing Kili preparation tips. His advice is essential for a successful and hassle-free climb.
Want to learn even more? Check out my special “Clothing and equipment tips for your Kilimanjaro climb“. Or read “The unbiased guide to all the different routes“.
Video Lesson 1: Your Backpack
In this video you’ll learn about the following:
– Backpack essentials.
– Camelback water units.
– Layering (clothes needed based on weather forecast).
Video Lesson 2: Boots and Hygiene
– Footwear and personal comfort.
– Ziploc bags to keep clothes dry.
– Wet wipes/hand sanitizers.
– Tissues (for runny noses).
– Water purification techniques.
– Tips to prevent your drinking water from freezing.
Video Lesson 3: For Your Own Comfort and Safety
Learn all you need to know about:
– Plastic ponchos.
– Sun protection.
– Hiking poles.
– Sleeping bags.
– LED head lamps.
– Ear plugs.
– Personal entertainment (music, cameras, batteries).
– Must-pack items (Swiss army knife, dark tape, etc.).
Video Lesson 4: First Aid Kit and Physical Fitness
Essential items mentioned include:
– Dental hygiene.
– First Aid Kit and Medication.
– Technology items (watch, GPS).
– Maps of the Area.
– Snacks and Food.
– Physical fitness (VERY IMPORTANT). Prerequisites are rather strict: at least 4 months of physical fitness prior to the ascension. Gym 4 times a week: electrical machines for 45-60 minutes + 1-2 hikes per month.