What is Mt Kilimanjaro’s Height?
Mount Kilimanjaro is one of the highest freestanding mountains in the world (ranked 4th) and the highest peak in Africa. It rises at 5895 m (19 340 feet) above sea level (Uhuru peak).
What are some of the Major Characteristics about the Victoria Falls?
While the waterfall is neither the highest nor the widest in the world, it is considered to be the largest.
Victoria Falls Facts and Figures:
– Height: 108 m (360 feet).
– Length: 1708 m (5604 feet).
– Mean annual flow rate: 1088 cubic meters per second.
– Origin of the word? Indigenous name is Mosi-oa-Tunya, or the “Smoke that Thunders”.
– Known as one of the Seven Wonders of the World and a “UNESCO World Heritage Site” since 1989.
What is the largest national park in Africa?
– Largest National Park: Namib-Naukluft National Park, Namibia (49 768 square kilometers).
– Largest Game Reserve: Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania (54 600 square kilometers).
– Largest Transfrontier National Park: Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park (35 000 square kilometers). It consists of the Kruger National Park (South Africa), Limpopo National Park (Mozambique) and Gonarezhou National Park (Zimbabwe).
How many animals participate in the annual Great Migration between the plains of the Serengeti and the Masai Mara?
Over 2000 000 herbivores migrate between the two countries, including over 200 000 zebra, 500 000 Thomson’s gazelle, and… over 1.5 million blue wildebeest. This makes it one of the greatest spectacles in the natural world.
How big is Lake Kariba?
Lake Kariba is the largest man-made lake and reservoir in the world, and was filled between 1958 and 1963 (after the completion of the Kariba Dam). With a total area of 5580 square km, it is home to a variety of different animal species: fish (kapenta, Tigerfish…), birds (fish eagle, cormorant…), hippos, crocodiles, and occasional elephant herds. The latter can especially be observed from the embankments of Matusadona National Park in Zimbabwe and Chete Island.
What is the longest river in Africa?
The Nile river is the longest river in Africa, and actually also the longest river in the world. Only the Amazon exceeds it in volume and area of drainage basin. It has a total length of roughly 6650 km, and gets its source from the Great Lakes region (Lake Victoria).