Although safaris and luxury accommodation don’t necessarily go hand in hand, the following lodges and tented camps are absolutely divine. Whether you’re looking for a unique honeymoon or have the means for something “extra special”, you’re in for a treat.
And for those who “can’t afford” luxury right now, you are still allowed to dream. Dreams are essential. So keep dreaming, and follow your desires.
Campi ya Kanzi
The camp of the hidden treasure.
Located in Kenya’s prime game area between Amboseli and Tsavo National Parks (Chyulu Hills), the camp provides a luxury tented experience for your exclusive private safari.
Highlights of Your Stay:
– Maasai-led walking safaris.
– Tembo house balcony overlooking the plains & Mt. Kilimanjaro.
– Conservation and ecotourism. Help the Maasai in preserving their wildlife and cultural heritage.
Tsavo East National Park, Kenya.
Set on the southern banks of the Galana river, Galdessa Main Camp is partially concealed in a grove of doum palm trees.
NB: Currently closed until further notice.
– Splendid deck overlooking the river. Relax and enjoy the plentiful wildlife coming down for a late afternoon drink.
– Thatched and semi-tented bungalows with private veranda and en-suite bathroom.
– Activities include open vehicle game drives, walking safaris and bush breakfast/sundowner by the river.
OL Donyo Lodge
Amboseli region, south-east Kenya.
20 bed luxury lodge set in a 275,000 acres of beautiful wild Africa. “Richard Bonham could well be the father of the bush guest house. He built Ol Donyo Wuas many years ago and it still sets the standard.” – John Hemingway, well-known writer about Africa.
What to Expect from Your Visit:
– “Tourist mini-bus-free” big 5 game area overlooking the spectacular Mt. Kilimanjaro.
– Private villa experience & lodge totally refurbished in 2008.
– All-inclusive tariff & largest array of activities in all of Africa. They include game drives, night drives, walks, horse safaris, mountain biking safaris, etc.
* Find them here.
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania.
On the rim of the world-renowned “Heritage Site”, the Crater Lodge is architecturally one of the most unique and prestigious safari lodges in Africa. In fact, it is often considered as the “African Versailles”. A pure jewel.
– Maasai mud-and-stick manyatta (homestead) style.
– Colonial style interior: silver, gold and ruby colours.
– Spectacular scenic view over the crater from above 2000 m.
Karibu Ngorongoro Crater Lodge: craterlodge.com
Sand Rivers Selous
The Sand Rivers Selous Lodge is part of the Selous Game Reserve ecosystem, Africa’s largest unspoilt gem. A must visit in one of the country’s reserves I love the most.
Why Go There?
– The lodge is along the Rufiji river bed, a stunning location on its own.
– Impeccable hosting, rare cottages (two sumptuous suites), and the perfect honeymoon nest known as the Rhino House.
– Activities to die for: the best boat cruises, walks, fly-camping, game drives, etc.
Hippo Point Private Estate & Wildlife Sanctuary
Lake Naivasha, Kenya.
Private luxury home in Kenya’s Rift Valley.
What to Expect from Hippo Point?
– 1930’s Elizabethan house completely restored in 1998.
– An ornithological paradise with over 520 recorded bird species in the Naivasha area + wild animals such as buffalo, giraffe and zebra wandering about the lush lawns.
– Health program, day safaris, walks and birdwatching.
Samangua Valley, Kenya.
Kenyan ranch set in the Laikipia region of Mount Kenya! Its name comes from the “Boran” cattle, a local breed raised to resist droughts and pests.
– Rich wildlife, including over 3000 elephants and big cats like the lion, cheetah and leopard.
– Visit the ranch, and learn about the major difficulties faced by the owners as there is constant conflict between livestock and carnivores.
– Stay in the Laragai House, the private home of George and Lucilla Stephensen.
Home Page: borana.co.ke
Masai Mara, Kenya. Small, private and exclusive.
Experience Real Africa in one of the continent’s most remarkable and animal-rich of national parks: the Masai Mara.
– Individually decorated tents with en-suite bathroom & clean, solar system power.
– Escorted bush walks, day/night game drives, sundowners, picnic lunches & even balloon safaris (at an extra cost).
– Exquisite meals under starlit Kenyan skies.
Ready for It? Visit richardscamp.com
“Revive your mind, rejuvenate your body and revitalise your soul!”
– The House: Exclusive, self-contained private house built on the edge of the escarpment.
– The Main Lodge: Spa, various activities (game drives, rafting, camel safaris, horse riding, walking) & unique star beds.
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania.
“This private and remote camp offers guests the spirit of wild Africa – wooded hillsides, rolling grasslands and forested river banks all teeming with the rich wildlife of this natural sanctuary lie sprawled at your feet.”
Why Klein’s Camp?
– Awe-inspiring view of the Serengeti plains from the edge of the Kuka Hills.
– One of the only areas in the Serengeti where you can do night drives.
– In the path of the annual Great Wildebeest Migration.